The legislation includes a secion on a "Southern Border Fencing Strategy," which is intended to direct...
And it will be a "legal" invasion -- not just the illegals being made legal, but an exponential increase in our already overly-generous levels of legal immigration. This bill will vomit out a tsunami of legal immigrants from all over the world with full rights and assess to our welfare and entitlement programs. With this many legal immigrants flooding across our shores in the years to come it will be virtually impossible to pick out the illegal ones streaming in along with them. The will to do anything about the illegals or to reduce the legal numbers will be even weaker than it is today given the political influence that they will wield with their raw numbers. Goodbye Republican party.
Much has been made of the border security "triggers" in the Gang of Eight's comprehensive immigration reform bill. It's been emphasized that the path to legalization for eligible illegal immigrants would not begin until after border enforcement provisions are met. As I wrote last week, it's unclear that the "triggers" as they're written in the legislation would actually function this way. At a hearing this week, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano gave conservatives even more reason to be skeptical of enforcement provisions.
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Advice to campaigning Democrats: Maybe avoid mentioning the term economic “recovery” Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago
- Western states debate retaking control of federal lands Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago
- Reflecting on Kelo nine years later Jazz Shaw 19 hours ago