Many established beliefs about presidential politics have been proved false by Obama's reelection: 1.) The idea that, when unemployment is above 7 percent, incumbents fail; 2.) The notion that incumbent presidents who...
A few aphorisms spring to mind. H L Mencken said: "Nobody ever went broke UNDERestimating the intelligence of the American public." The man-in-the-street interviews by Fox Bews, Jay Leno and others proved that the majority of American voters know nothing and care less about domestic or, especially, foreign policy. Mention the onrushing economic disaster, and the interviewers got blank stares. Joblessness? Half of them said it was - after nearly four years - Bush's fault. The blacks voted for Obama (94%) because of the color of his skin. Latinos because they believe he will lift all restrictions on illegal aliens (probably right, amnesty here we come.) The young because he's - like, you know - cool.
Even when the economy is terrible, when the incumbent Democratic president has not been able to demonstrate success on job creation or growth, and even when the standard of living for Americans is declining on his watch, the country will choose a Democrat "who cares about the problems of people like me" over the Republican. That alone is enough to make Republican heads spin for some time.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Scarborough: A certain network should cover Bridgegate clearing as much as allegations Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Remind me again, why isn’t Condi Rice running for president? Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Following Scotland’s lead: 25% of USA residents open to breaking away Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Video: Does watching NFL games make you an ‘enabler’ of domestic violence? Guy Benson 8 hours ago
- Video: Remy solves “the ISIS crisis” as only he can Allahpundit 9 hours ago