Puritans brought their aversion of Christmas to the New World, making its celebration a crime. In Boston in 1706, a mob attacked a church holding a Christmas service. By state law, in Massachusetts children were required to attend school on Dec. 25, and many ministers condemned the whole idea of Christmas, some calling it a "foreign day." It was not until 1885, when Congress declared Dec. 25 a federal holiday, that it began a renaissance in the US. So, far from the annual lament about "taking Christ out of Christmas" from religious people ignorant of its historical origins, many are simply returning it to its original, pre-Christian, purpose. Eat, drink and be merry, and to hell with the priests and prelates!
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 17 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 18 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 18 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 19 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 19 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 20 hours ago