born on Dec. 25. The scriptures decribe his birth, but not the date, the month, even the season. If the shepherds were tending their flocks that night it wouldn't have been in December. In winter nights are cold even in Palestine. They and their flocks would have been sheltered in the villages. Early Christians asserted May as his birth month, and various sects have named every month of the year. The early church found that at a time when life was nasty, brutish and short, since ancient times people celebrated the end of December as having pased the shortest day by eating, drinking and making merry. The Romans called it Saturnalia.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 13 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago