born on Dec. 25. The scriptures decribe his birth, but not the date, the month, even the season. If the shepherds were tending their flocks that night it wouldn't have been in December. In winter nights are cold even in Palestine. They and their flocks would have been sheltered in the villages. Early Christians asserted May as his birth month, and various sects have named every month of the year. The early church found that at a time when life was nasty, brutish and short, since ancient times people celebrated the end of December as having pased the shortest day by eating, drinking and making merry. The Romans called it Saturnalia.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014