We could see the beginning of a similar rebellion against marijuana prohibition this year as voters in three states -- Washington, Colorado and Oregon -- decide whether to legalize the drug's production and sale for recreational use. If any of these ballot initiatives pass, it might be the...
I've got news for you: if you think kids can't find pot right now, while it's still illegal, you are fooling yourself. Just as Prohibition taught us, if someone wants something, it won't matter whether it's illegal or not. All we are doing by continuing to keep pot in the same class of drugs as cocaine, LSD and meth are empowering gangs, thugs and vicious criminals to keep making money hand over fist. Prohibition gave us Al Capone. The War on Drugs gave us the Medellin and Cali cartels in Colombia, made the Taliban the world's #1 producer of opium and created the paramilitary narco-gangs in Mexico and Central America that will kill anyone, even cops, judges and government officials, who get in their way.
By the time the 21st Amendment ended national alcohol prohibition in December 1933, more than a dozen states had already opted out. Maryland never passed its own version of the Volstead Act, while New York repealed its alcohol prohibition law in 1923. Eleven other states eliminated their statutes by referendum in November 1932.
- Study: Non-citizens are voting in federal elections — and probably tipped at least one Senate race to Democrats Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- HHS official to Congress: I’m totally in charge, but that doesn’t mean I can prioritize Ebola prep over puppet shows Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- All in: Democrats plan full-court press to defeat Walker Guy Benson 2 hours ago
- Oh, by the way: North Korea now knows how to build small nuclear warheads for delivery via ICBM Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: The ultimate Debbie Wasserman Schultz clip Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- DHS auditor: It’s not your imagination, we aren’t prepared for a pandemic Noah Rothman 4 hours ago