We could see the beginning of a similar rebellion against marijuana prohibition this year as voters in three states -- Washington, Colorado and Oregon -- decide whether to legalize the drug's production and sale for recreational use. If any of these ballot initiatives pass, it might be the...
I am 100% in favor of legalizing marijuana, but I will not be voting for I-502 in WA state. It's a bad law. It will add a 25% tax to sales of pot in the Evergreen State, which already has the highest sales tax in the country. It will force the operators of currently-legal dispensaries to purchase a $1000 annual "Marijuana Tax Stamp" in order to stay in business, and the state can cherry-pick who will be allowed to purchase one. It will lower the threshold for a pot DUI from the current level of 10,000 ng of THC per ml of blood all the way down to just 5 ng. A non-pot-smoking person could test positive after walking through a room where someone was smoking a joint. Even NORML & the people who put on Seattle's Hempfest aren't supporting it.
By the time the 21st Amendment ended national alcohol prohibition in December 1933, more than a dozen states had already opted out. Maryland never passed its own version of the Volstead Act, while New York repealed its alcohol prohibition law in 1923. Eleven other states eliminated their statutes by referendum in November 1932.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 26 mins ago
- Video: Phoenix business owner foils bank robbery by waiting at get-away car with his gun Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Obama: Hey, all these red-state Democrats running away from me are strong supporters who vote with me! Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: The ultimate gross-out Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Scary news from MoveOn: If Republicans win the Senate, they might use a dubious procedure known as “reconciliation” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Should a minority elect an executive? Maine edition Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago