We could see the beginning of a similar rebellion against marijuana prohibition this year as voters in three states -- Washington, Colorado and Oregon -- decide whether to legalize the drug's production and sale for recreational use. If any of these ballot initiatives pass, it might be the...
I am 100% in favor of legalizing marijuana, but I will not be voting for I-502 in WA state. It's a bad law. It will add a 25% tax to sales of pot in the Evergreen State, which already has the highest sales tax in the country. It will force the operators of currently-legal dispensaries to purchase a $1000 annual "Marijuana Tax Stamp" in order to stay in business, and the state can cherry-pick who will be allowed to purchase one. It will lower the threshold for a pot DUI from the current level of 10,000 ng of THC per ml of blood all the way down to just 5 ng. A non-pot-smoking person could test positive after walking through a room where someone was smoking a joint. Even NORML & the people who put on Seattle's Hempfest aren't supporting it.
By the time the 21st Amendment ended national alcohol prohibition in December 1933, more than a dozen states had already opted out. Maryland never passed its own version of the Volstead Act, while New York repealed its alcohol prohibition law in 1923. Eleven other states eliminated their statutes by referendum in November 1932.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Lundergan Grimes: Iron Dome is great for keeping Hamas from tunneling into Israel Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Organizing for Action asks WaPo to recognize its work, with hilarious results Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- S.E. Cupp: It’s a myth that conservatism is hostile to atheism Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Chuck Todd: Democrats and Republicans should be embarrassed by this impeachment nonsense Guy Benson 9 hours ago
- GAO investigation: Why, yes, the Healthcare.gov disaster was the result of terrible government management Allahpundit 10 hours ago