"That's one of the things I love about America: The default position is to be skeptical of government, no matter who's in charge." This is an incorrect assumption. The default position should be skepticism, and many conservatives and libertarians are as skeptical of Republican politicians as they are of democrats, because both are likely to impinge on our freedoms and waste our money. But the left is not skeptical of their politicians because they believe in centralized authority to solve our problems. They believe in giving up individual liberty to have a 'better' society. So their response to politicians is heavily asymmetric. They are cynical about everything the right does, attributing their motives as racist, sexist, homophobic, mean, and selfish. These are not merely tactics; many mainstream liberals believe this nonsense about the right. But that cynicism is replaced with a naive faith when it comes to liberal politicians, because liberals are motivated by what is best for all of us. We can have a more just and prosperous world if Republicans would just stop obstructing President Obama's plans. The idea that Obama's poll numbers remain high amidst what is arguably the most destructively run administration since at least Carter reflects the background radiation of the big liberal myth shared by our media (news and entertainment) and elites (academics and public intellectuals). None of them are blaming Obama because he is them. They created his myth, obscured his flaws and lack of experience, and covered up his mistakes. Too many Americans have lost their skepticism and become saps, easy marks for Washington carnival barkers.
- DeBlasio faces three lawsuits for trying to shut down charter schools Mary Katharine Ham 38 minutes ago
- European countries to US: Give us your gas Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- White House on Democrats’ global-warming talkathon: We salute you Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago