"That's one of the things I love about America: The default position is to be skeptical of government, no matter who's in charge." This is an incorrect assumption. The default position should be skepticism, and many conservatives and libertarians are as skeptical of Republican politicians as they are of democrats, because both are likely to impinge on our freedoms and waste our money. But the left is not skeptical of their politicians because they believe in centralized authority to solve our problems. They believe in giving up individual liberty to have a 'better' society. So their response to politicians is heavily asymmetric. They are cynical about everything the right does, attributing their motives as racist, sexist, homophobic, mean, and selfish. These are not merely tactics; many mainstream liberals believe this nonsense about the right. But that cynicism is replaced with a naive faith when it comes to liberal politicians, because liberals are motivated by what is best for all of us. We can have a more just and prosperous world if Republicans would just stop obstructing President Obama's plans. The idea that Obama's poll numbers remain high amidst what is arguably the most destructively run administration since at least Carter reflects the background radiation of the big liberal myth shared by our media (news and entertainment) and elites (academics and public intellectuals). None of them are blaming Obama because he is them. They created his myth, obscured his flaws and lack of experience, and covered up his mistakes. Too many Americans have lost their skepticism and become saps, easy marks for Washington carnival barkers.
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 13:1–23 Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- ICE has the chance to catch Jose Antonio Vargas RIGHT NOW Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago