Few believe that a woman should have to undergo the torment of rape in the first place. The risk of pregnancy is one of the reasons that rape is such a horrible crime. Those who oppose abortion (and I count myself among them) do not oppose it because they oppose women or the choices they may make. Opposition to abortion is based upon the humanity of the unborn child inside the woman. A fair argument may be made as to when a fertilized egg becomes a human being. I get that. But if and when human being status is achieved, there is no valid argument for ending that life, except, in my view, when the life of the mother is at risk (and notice that even abortion supporters speak of the "life of the mother" exeption. Mother of what?...
Todd Akin’s grossly irresponsible remarks about “legitimate rape” and conception have received much media attention. As well they should. The sheer weirdness of the remarks calls into question both his intelligence and his personal integrity. How could someone conclude logically that a rape victim’s body has the capacity to prevent conception in the wake of sexual assault? And why would someone assert that the conclusion had been supported by doctors with whom he had spoken? Clearly, Akin contrived the idea on the spot and then contrived the claim that there were doctors who had informed and/or supported his assertion. All of...
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014