Few believe that a woman should have to undergo the torment of rape in the first place. The risk of pregnancy is one of the reasons that rape is such a horrible crime. Those who oppose abortion (and I count myself among them) do not oppose it because they oppose women or the choices they may make. Opposition to abortion is based upon the humanity of the unborn child inside the woman. A fair argument may be made as to when a fertilized egg becomes a human being. I get that. But if and when human being status is achieved, there is no valid argument for ending that life, except, in my view, when the life of the mother is at risk (and notice that even abortion supporters speak of the "life of the mother" exeption. Mother of what?...
Todd Akin’s grossly irresponsible remarks about “legitimate rape” and conception have received much media attention. As well they should. The sheer weirdness of the remarks calls into question both his intelligence and his personal integrity. How could someone conclude logically that a rape victim’s body has the capacity to prevent conception in the wake of sexual assault? And why would someone assert that the conclusion had been supported by doctors with whom he had spoken? Clearly, Akin contrived the idea on the spot and then contrived the claim that there were doctors who had informed and/or supported his assertion. All of...
- Video: Hot Air interview with Marco Rubio on border crisis, Hobby Lobby Ed Morrissey 32 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- In Illinois and California, public servants skate in police abuse cases Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Will Utah be ground zero for nationwide gay marriage? Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- Virginia cops hoping to bust teen for child pornography by, er, taking photos of his erect penis Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- NYT: Chelsea Clinton gets $75K per speech Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago