Do members of symphonies get paid for practicing?

Tax Refund Siezure

NCLaw441 Wrote: Apr 15, 2014 10:38 AM
Correct the spelling of "seizure".
Why are Democrats so fired up and contending that this still is not evidence of voter fraud? Do they not think this could point to Republicans? I guess not. They seem to know that this is the kind of thing Democrats do, and that they be pretty close to getting caught.
If you are burnt out after high school, take more than a gap year. Just get a job. You will earn some money and perhaps learn why a college education (with a marketable major) is valuable.

Squeegee People

NCLaw441 Wrote: Mar 03, 2014 2:11 PM
Mike, your article reminds me of some thoughts I have had lately about liberal excuses based upon lack of free will. Why do we even value human life? What makes us different from animals? Is it not because we DO have free will? Is it not because we have personal responsibility and self-determination? If we accept the liberals' arguments, there is no value to human life (abortion anyone), but they still, inexplicably want society (that is, the rest of us) to care for those who have no human qualities worthy of support. Reading this I know I sound cruel, which is not my intent.

Squeegee People

NCLaw441 Wrote: Mar 03, 2014 2:11 PM

Beyond Affirmative Action

NCLaw441 Wrote: Feb 19, 2014 8:59 PM
The end result of Dr. Carson disproves any notion that he was admitted based upon Affirmative Action. He was properly assessed. The considerations that admitted him to an Ivy League school were considerations that should always be taken into account. They are part of a valid measurement of admissions criteria.

Beyond Affirmative Action

NCLaw441 Wrote: Feb 19, 2014 8:55 PM
I agree that all should be held to the same standard. The trick is finding that standard and how to measure it. Dr. Carson's example demonstrates how the analysis omits factors that, if considered, would prove the qualifications of the candidate.

Beyond Affirmative Action

NCLaw441 Wrote: Feb 19, 2014 8:53 PM
Excellent point, and we do them no favors by admitting them when they are not qualified, not to mention those candidates who lost out to an inferior candidate only to have him drown. The AA student could have been a great contributor in a school where he would be likely to succeed.

Beyond Affirmative Action

NCLaw441 Wrote: Feb 19, 2014 8:50 PM
Averages are useful when dealing with groups, but for matters such as college admissions they mean nothing. Each candidate ought to be examined based upon his/her own abilities and aptitudes. The trick is properly measuring them. Socio-economic circumstances ought to be considered, not as affirmative action, but as part of a valid assessment of the abilities of the candidate being considered. There may or may not be a very small number of minority (or as was my case, poor white trash) candidates who can make the grade, but a proper measure might result in finding someone like Dr. Carson, to the benefit of all society.