You see the signs everywhere: "We accept EBT." Fast-food restaurants do. Clothing retailers do. Auto repair shops, liquor stores and even sushi joints are joining the club. "EBT" stands for the federal government's electronic benefits transfer card, which is intended to provide poor people with food stamps and cash...
Thirty years ago, my husband had to pass a citizenship test before Naturalization. He knows more about how our government is set up to run, than most high-schoolers do when they graduate. A long time ago, someone (Jack Eckerd?) wrote about how these types of programs actually keep the needy as a perpetual underclass--but also a consistent voting block. So, is it out of "goodness and compassion," or the more cynical "buying votes" that we see this unchecked abuse of taxpayers' hard-earned monies?
From New York to New Mexico and across the dependent plains, welfare recipients are getting sauced on the public dime. Drunk, besotted, bombed. But while politicians pay lip service to cutting government waste, fraud and abuse, they're doing very little in practice to stop the EBT party excesses. Where's the compassion for taxpayers?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Enjoy Sec. Donald Rumsfeld’s Tax Day letter to the IRS Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Is the wind lobby’s most precious subsidy finally losing steam in Congress? Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- “Russia has not invaded Ukraine,” and other great moments in Russian propaganda Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Video: Trump to buy the Buffalo Bills? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 5 hours ago