Well, no actually, except for the part about trying to learn the cello. It's been 18 months now, and I'm plugging away, attempting to force my hands, arms, body, but mostly my brain, to do things...
At last something on townhall I can relate to!!! I've been learning the tenor sax for the last year in the UK (an 'evil liberal' instrument to many here I'm sure!!) I've managed to get through the first two grades with distinction which I'm pleased about. Definitely recommend learning an instrument at a 'later age' (I'm 45). I find I'm a lot more patient than I was when I tried to learn the guitar at 14 (got frustrated that I wasn't Jimi Hendrix after a month) and it does an ageing mind good to learn new things. I've also developed an interest in jazz which was a genre I knew ver little about.
Seized by some peculiar muse (clearly one with a sense of humor), I have undertaken to learn the cello in middle age. To the amazement of my teacher, my family and myself, I've made incredibly rapid progress. Displaying a fluidity and musicianship that cannot be taught, I burned through the early books and went straight to repertoire that is usually the province of advanced players.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- YouGov poll: Most Americans, and most Democrats, do not wish Hillary had won in 2008 Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Report: Obama’s Bergdahl swap violated the law Noah Rothman 11 hours ago