Well, no actually, except for the part about trying to learn the cello. It's been 18 months now, and I'm plugging away, attempting to force my hands, arms, body, but mostly my brain, to do things...
At last something on townhall I can relate to!!! I've been learning the tenor sax for the last year in the UK (an 'evil liberal' instrument to many here I'm sure!!) I've managed to get through the first two grades with distinction which I'm pleased about. Definitely recommend learning an instrument at a 'later age' (I'm 45). I find I'm a lot more patient than I was when I tried to learn the guitar at 14 (got frustrated that I wasn't Jimi Hendrix after a month) and it does an ageing mind good to learn new things. I've also developed an interest in jazz which was a genre I knew ver little about.
Seized by some peculiar muse (clearly one with a sense of humor), I have undertaken to learn the cello in middle age. To the amazement of my teacher, my family and myself, I've made incredibly rapid progress. Displaying a fluidity and musicianship that cannot be taught, I burned through the early books and went straight to repertoire that is usually the province of advanced players.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Priorities: Germany bans Uber, ride-sharing services Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Breaking: Obama approves sending 350 more troops back into Baghdad Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- ESPN poll: 71% support team keeping “Redskins” name — including 53% of liberals Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Brutal Ad: Mary Landrieu’s tireless representation of her true home town Guy Benson 7 hours ago
- Chris Christie thinks Putin wouldn’t test him like he does Obama, and that’s driving liberals nuts Noah Rothman 8 hours ago