As a young man in college (in the early 70s), I procured employment by walking onto a construction site and offering to shingle the roof. They hired me immediately and paid $3 per square (a "square" is 100 square ft.). At first, I didn't even have a ladder; I made one out of 2 x 4's. Before long, I had a ladder, which I transported on a cheap ladder rack attached to my '63 Plymouth Valiant. I worked my way through college installing acres of shingles--all hand-nailed. I created my own job; did good, honorable work and was free and productive. As a young man in his twenties, it was all very gratifying. Sadly, it would not be possible today--thanks to the do-gooders who want to protect the workers.

The Hollow Men

Mudslinger Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 9:26 PM
The foreign policy of Obama (and most Democrats) : make nice and hope the problem goes away. Surprise, surprise! It didn't work. Next move: let's carpet bomb them with COEXIST bumper stickers.
I've been building and repairing houses for over forty years and now, at the age of 65, I find myself breaking the law almost every day. If it's not OSHA, with their ridiculous fall arrest requirements, it's the EPA, with their obsession with lead paint. To avoid the expensive busybodies at the municipal level, I often work without a permit. I have acquired a wealth of knowledge about building but I can't afford the expense or liability of hiring anyone; thus, I'm not passing along my hard-won skills to a younger man. When I entered this line of work, the freedom was the most appealing part of the job. Now I have to break the *&^%# law to do things he way I want to. I'm glad my career is almost over.
Clearly, everyone who has a pulse has a right to world-class medicine. And everyone who has a pulse has a right to safe, decent housing. And everyone who has a pulse has a right to immigrate to the US. And everyone has a right to vote, whether they have a pulse or not.

To Defeat the Islamic State

Mudslinger Wrote: Aug 26, 2014 8:43 AM
I propose that the US Air Force drops about one million COEXIST bumper stickers on the areas controlled by ISIS. Simultaneously, we could fill the air waves with Jackie De Shannon's song "What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love."

Libertarians, Ferguson, and "Racism"

Mudslinger Wrote: Aug 25, 2014 9:28 AM
What is missing in these discussions is a clear definition of the word racism. Most people who "care deeply" about racism in America are incapable of defining it.
He could also have added the murder of a Chinese professor a few weeks ago in Chapel Hill, NC. The two killers were young, black men recently released from prison. In the process of mugging him in broad daylight, they bashed his skull in with a rock.

Is the Criminal Justice System Racist?

Mudslinger Wrote: Aug 17, 2014 11:17 AM
Liberal mores and policies have made young black males largely unemployable. Among the problems are poor social skills, poor technical skills, a distain for physical labor and an inability to follow orders. In the past, young black males learned trades from self-employed blacks but liberal policies have also just about destroyed black entrepreneurialism. I run a small business and I have no employees. They are too much trouble and liability--thanks to the do-gooders of the world.

Here Come the Indian Mascot Killers

Mudslinger Wrote: Jul 25, 2014 8:03 AM
"USA Today Sports asked the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, Kansas City Chiefs and Washington's NFL club whether they would consider a similar policy and if they are comfortable with some fans of their teams coming to games dressed as pretend Indians." I wonder if USA Today has a problem with "pretend Indians" in the US Senate, like Elizabeth Warren?

The Stolen Job Myth

Mudslinger Wrote: Jul 03, 2014 8:43 AM
"BTW Americans WILL do MOST jobs" Americans will do any job--if the price is right. For centuries, Americans managed to roof and paint houses, lay foundations, build house frames, pour concrete and install drywall--all without the help of illegal immigrants. They also managed to bring in crops. Ava Gardner helped her family bring in tobacco and cotton when she was young. Contrary to what Jacoby says, we don't need immigrants. Our continent-wide country is now full. When the Statue of Liberty was built, we had about 45 million people. We now have 325 million people. When I was in high school in the 1960s, the population was 180 million. The increase is alarming.

The Stolen Job Myth

Mudslinger Wrote: Jul 02, 2014 4:18 PM
In my industry, building and remodeling, there are boom periods and slow periods. When demand is high, there's plenty of work and prices go up. We need to make a lot of money during these periods to carry us through the inevitable slumps in the market. We didn't in the last boom (ending in the burst housing bubble of 2007), because every time there was a shortage of labor, it was filled by illegals rather than raising prices to attract needed workers. The illegals did work Americans wouldn't do--at the prices that middle-class consumers felt they were entitled to. That may have been good for Jacoby when he bought or remodeled a house but it hurt me. It continues to hurt me.