After my husband passed away, and before I had a chance to return to school, I worked three jobs and I was 48 years old. It was also a very happy time for me. I had never been self supporting before. I did not know I could do it. You want people to have self esteem? Help them to realize they can make it on their own without government assistance. I worked as leasing agent in an apartment complex, but before I went to work, I spent 3 1/2 hours each morning delivering newspapers for USA Today. It was a large drive route that covered about 45 miles of suburban neighborhood streets. The apartment complex where I worked had two small laundromats on the premises, and they paid a two person team $50 per week to clean these two laundromats once a week. I told the property manager that I would do it for $40 per week. He said "Great" and I picked up another job! I felt great knowing I was supporting myself, and also knowing that I could do that much work at my age!
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014