I still don't understand why people take drugs. Can't they just pour themselves a nice shot of bourbon? On the other hand, as Gary S. Becker and Kevin M. Murphy argue, in a lucid...
John: Since the beginning of time, there have always been people who have wanted to “save others from themselves”. If drugs did not exist, these do-gooders would find something else to prohibit. There are those who want to ban sugar. Some want to ban meat and make us all vegetarians. This may sound like a joke, but these people are dead serious. Think of your own life. What do you enjoy? Some hobby. Some indulgence. You can bet there is someone, somewhere who thinks it is bad and would love to ban it, whatever “it” is. Many people just can’t accept that people are imperfect and always will be. We will never perfect the state of mankind and shouldn’t try.
Forty-odd (exceedingly odd, I might add) years ago, who would have envisioned a national war against drugs? Nobody took drugs -- nobody you knew, nobody but jazz musicians and funny foreign folk. Then, after a while, it came to seem that everybody did. Drugs became a new front in the war on an old social culture that was taking hard licks aplenty in those days.
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 13:1–23 Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- ICE has the chance to catch Jose Antonio Vargas RIGHT NOW Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 17 hours ago