I am a conservative and have been one my entire life. I’m 64 so that has been awhile. I don’t want anyone accusing me of being a liberal for what I am about to say. I am sick of the self-righteous hubris of people who complain when food stamp recipients don’t eat enough “healthy” food to suit them. Many of the things this author argues don’t have anything to do with pizza, and the arguments could be made without concerning himself with what others are eating. Does this author really care about the nutritional needs of poor people? I don’t think so. This sort of gripping is nothing but resentment over paying taxes that are too high. If you think the government shouldn’t provide food assistance, then fight the policy, but stop trying to make it look like something else. Masking resentment as concern for nutrition is not fooling anyone. It makes conservatives look no different from the liberal elites who are always telling other people what to do. Michele Obama is the one who wants to be food tsar. Conservatives should NOT be copying her. The number one thing people need from food is not nutrition as most people assume. It is calories. That’s right. The thing most of us fight to consume less of is the thing that fuels our bodies, provides energy and prevents starvation. There is nothing wrong with junk food when it provides calories, and all junk food provides some nutrition. Even poor people, though they may have an occasional pizza, do not consume junk food exclusively, so the junk food is filling a need by providing essential calories. There are SO MANY more important things with which conservatives should be concerning themselves. If you want to make a case for eliminating food assistance programs, fine. Do it. But leave the food choice issue out of it. This is petty and when we focus on such issues we LOOK petty.
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 28 mins ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 49 mins ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Pence: Cheer up — we’re winning! Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago