A leading Democrat in the U.S. Senate said the bones of an immigration reform bill will remain in place despite some anticipated tweaks. Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said some adjustments to the bipartisan measure were inevitable but the "basic agreement" needed to remain intact. "We have got to basically stick to the standard of what we've established, what we've agreed over the last three months,"...
The reason the Dems oppose amendments to the bill is because they don't care whether it passes or not, either way they get something they want. If it passes they get millions of new Democrat voters overnight. If it doesn't pass they can use it to stir-up pro-amnesty voters in 2014.
Sen. Dick Durbin -- Harry Reid's top lieutenant and one of four Democrats in the so-called 'gang of eight' -- says root-and-branch amendments to the proposed immigration legislation would be a non-starter:
- Ron Paul: Crimea has the right to join Russia, and U.S. sanctions would be “criminal” Allahpundit 44 minutes ago
- CPAC interviews: The candidates Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Amazing: Leader of authoritarian gulag state unanimously “elected” with 100 percent voter turnout Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Snowden Q&A overshadowed at SXSW by … Girls Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Russian ambassador: We’re making it easier for Latvian ethnic Russians to get citizenship Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Let the primaries begin: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz battle over foreign policy Allahpundit 4 hours ago