President Obama rehashed many familiar themes this evening, calling on Congress to act on a host of issues -- and vowing to take unilateral executive action if they fail to sufficiently address his priorities. A few passages were newsworthy: Obama denounced the looming sequester cuts, voiced support for "modest" Medicare reforms, called for another stimulus, resurrected cap and trade, pushed comprehensive immigration reform, backed a national hike in the minimum wage, announced another major troop draw-down in Afghanistan, and insisted that Congress allow up-or-down votes on a series of gun control measures. As is his habit, the president was...
And if you read the publications and correspondence of the men responsible for crafting that Amendment, "well regulated" means proficient in the use of their arms, able to maintain them in good repair, etc., and that "militia" (and this one continues to be confirmed by the Supremes) means the entire adult population capable of operating the arms they're never to be denied the right to carry. Oh, yeah, and "arms" was meant to signify (and this also has been reinforced by Supreme Court decisions) what is in common current military use. Oh yes, and "free state" can be read as "a state (political unit) that is free" and it can also be read as "people in the state, status or condition of being free" - you know, citizens rather than subjects?
- Video: A huge executive amnesty for illegals would be a big mistake, says … Ed Schultz? Allahpundit 27 minutes ago
- Grimes: Iron Dome really helps defend against the tunnels, or something Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Is the world giving up on a two-state solution? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Are the culture wars really just about sex? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- “A**holes”: Turns out Lois Lerner’s not a fan of conservative talk radio or its listeners Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- AP poll: 52% say border kids fleeing gang violence shouldn’t be treated as refugees Allahpundit 3 hours ago