You are missing two important facts. First, the other half of the loaf will feed someone else. Second, the chance to make a profit on bread will cause someone from outside the area to bring in a truckload of bread for sale that would not otherwise have been there and more people will be fed.
Here's a which-is-better question for you. Suppose a New Jersey motel room rented for $125 a night prior to Hurricane Sandy's devastation. When the hurricane hits, a husband, wife and their two youngsters might seek the comfort of renting two adjoining rooms. However, when they arrive at the motel, they find that rooms now rent for $250. At that price, they might decide to make do with one room. In my book, that would be wonderful. That decision would make a room available for another family who had to evacuate Sandy's wrath. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and others condemn this...
- Dems fret that ISIS will force America to return to Iraq Noah Rothman 21 mins ago
- Video: Don Lemon claims “most people” can buy automatic weapons in America Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Video: The shooting of Kajieme Powell Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Perry grand juror also a Texas Democratic Party delegate? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Sen. Bernie Sanders confronted by constituents: ‘F*** Israel!’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Obama not grasping the seriousness of the Foley murder, says … Chris Matthews? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago