Not only will the EU disintegrate, the banks holding those IOUs from the country defaulting on them, depositors will find themselves suffering a loss, after they can't get their money out of the bank due to a government declared bank holiday. And IOUs from that bank will also affect the balance sheets of other banks, likely including the Fed. Either expect to see losses and bank failures, or expect to see governments printing money to bailout the banks, and increased inflation, perhaps over a single night.
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Daniele Watts won’t apologize, but how about the media? Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 20:1–16 Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago