The organization's hysteric solution to gun violence in America is to put designated sitting ducks -- er, "armed police officers" -- in every American school. Apparently the secret is now out that such places are "gun-free," and LaPierre says that "(gun-free school zones) tell every insane killer in America...
Sorry, but this was a painful read filled with failures of logic and uniformed opinion. The track-record shows that insane killers that perform mass shooting incidents almost always per-meditate and consciously choose their venues. The CO theater shooter, for example, skipped overqualified 5 more convenient theaters to get to one with a no weapons policy posted. He wore body armor. He was deliberately acting to lower his chances of being threatened by armed resistance. Then there's the idea that violent crimes are stopped only by shooting the assailant. Statistically, most criminal incidents stopped by a firearm end when the crimal has a gun pointed at him. He surrenders or flees. He doesn't get into a shoot out.
After a tragedy like the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Conn., the injection of anything short of seriousness into the subsequent public discourse about guns is touchy. But last week, the National Rifle Association blasted numerous rounds into that particular barrier with NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre's mouth.
- Tuesday TEMS: Andrew Malcolm, Stephen Hayes Ed Morrissey 13 mins ago
- Latest ISIS beheading of an American exposes moral bankruptcy of our betters Noah Rothman 28 mins ago
- Video: Parents of fallen SEAL demand Obama resignation Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Breaking: ISIS releases new video of beheading another American journalist Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Politico sounds the alarm: Boehner may still have to listen to tea partiers after midterms Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Fox News: Obama briefed for more than a year on ISIS as serious threat Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago