The organization's hysteric solution to gun violence in America is to put designated sitting ducks -- er, "armed police officers" -- in every American school. Apparently the secret is now out that such places are "gun-free," and LaPierre says that "(gun-free school zones) tell every insane killer in America...
Sorry, but this was a painful read filled with failures of logic and uniformed opinion. The track-record shows that insane killers that perform mass shooting incidents almost always per-meditate and consciously choose their venues. The CO theater shooter, for example, skipped overqualified 5 more convenient theaters to get to one with a no weapons policy posted. He wore body armor. He was deliberately acting to lower his chances of being threatened by armed resistance. Then there's the idea that violent crimes are stopped only by shooting the assailant. Statistically, most criminal incidents stopped by a firearm end when the crimal has a gun pointed at him. He surrenders or flees. He doesn't get into a shoot out.
After a tragedy like the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Conn., the injection of anything short of seriousness into the subsequent public discourse about guns is touchy. But last week, the National Rifle Association blasted numerous rounds into that particular barrier with NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre's mouth.
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- “We need a national conversation…” Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago