Society is gradually becoming more liberal – or libertine – in many ways, and one of the latest trends is the gradual legalization of marijuana in one state after another. This past election, voters approved marijuana for legal (recreational) use in Colorado and Washington. Marijuana has been legalized for recreational or medicinal use in 13 states, with more states to consider it soon. 15 million Americans are regular users of marijuana, a little over 5% of of the population. It seems problematic to criticize its legalization from a logical perspective considering alcohol, another psychoactive substance, is legal. If it is acceptable...
In response to:
I am not marijuana user or user of any illegal drug but I agree with Milton Friedman. Paraphrasing him 'more harm comes from the war on drugs than drugs themselves'. The millons of $ that are spent on the war, the lives that are ruined by being put in prison and in many cases for a disproportionately long time compared to violent crimes then having a record for the rest of your life. If people commit a crime while on drugs then it is their fault not the drugs. If someone is in their own home smoking pot and not going to drive it is not my business or the governments.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 50 mins ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 4 hours ago