Consider the disconnects: California's combined income and sales taxes are among the nation's highest, but the state's deficit is still about $16 billion. It's estimated that more than 2,000 upper-income Californians are leaving per week to flee high taxes and costly regulations, yet California wants to raise taxes even higher; its business climate already ranks near the bottom of most surveys. Its teachers are among the highest paid on average in the nation, but its public school students consistently test near the bottom...
Ditto what maddog2021 wrote. I've lived in California for 25 years now, the article is dead-on accurate, word for word. This state is an economic and political hole. Conservatism and an embracing of the free market are the only cure.
Driving across California is like going from Mississippi to Massachusetts without ever crossing a state line.
- Obama’s criticism of Israel: Deflection or duplicitousness? Jeff Dunetz 14 mins ago
- Grand Jury in Michael Brown shooting under scrutiny following tweets Jazz Shaw 55 mins ago
- Intel and military sources: We could have hit “Khorasan” in June Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Sources: DOJ won’t file civil-rights charges against George Zimmerman for shooting Trayvon Martin Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Panetta memoir blames Obama for collapse in Iraq Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- 80 people being monitored in Dallas area for Ebola; Update: 100? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago