No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 23, 2014 9:42 AM
Mark: In a sense, I agree; it is about “The People”, but just who are “The People”? You are, but so am I. Barber is, but no more than any non- Bible-believing conservative Christian. And therein lies the problem. By all means, I call for each of us to vote as we think is best. In addition, we should work to influence the party for what we conceive to be its betterment. Barber however, has gone beyond that. Therefore, I say go, knowing full well that he will marginalize himself.

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 23, 2014 8:56 AM
I clearly don’t agree with Barber’s vision for America; but if I accept his sincerity, I must acknowledge the current situation in the GOP. Folks who feel as strongly as Barber must leave the GOP and form a new party. There was a time when the GOP was a new party yet grew in strength quite rapidly. I have my doubts in this case; but on the whole, I think it will be good for the GOP and the country at large if those who desire a theocracy break off on their own.

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 3:25 PM
Mud, that may be true, but I am using only what he has written here and in the past to evaluate his ideology and address the point of this column. Otherwise, it is through free will that someone may decide to drive their car in complete disregard for all rules of the road; and I for one am glad that government endeavors to restrict expression of that free will either through coercion or force

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 3:00 PM
Mud: Actually, Barber is not specifically calling for elections, but I believe he thinks he speaks for the majority and will be able to rely on elections; thus the delusion I spoke of earlier. Rather, he calls for the replacement of personnel and total, mark that word, total repentance and widespread revival to ward off inevitable downfall. In short, a form of government in which official policy is governed by officials regarded as divinely guided, or is pursuant to the doctrine of a particular religion or religious group.

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 2:51 PM
Mud: here’s an example of where your lack of reasoning skills causes you to lose grip on reality. I am in favor of letting people vote and respecting their choices while tempering any tyranny of the majority with the courts. Barber and Anthony are saying all things must go their way no matter what people vote. Please refer to a dictionary if you don’t know the meaning of the terms we are using.

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 2:47 PM
Mud: Just the opposite since I never voted for Obama yet don’t see him as “palpably evil”. You see, I believe in compromise and I accept the possibility that my isn’t the only right way. This has remained consistent in all my comments but as you rarely have any argument against me, such is your only resort. Your next line is a good example. If I am wrong, then there must be another way in which such changes can be wrought. Describe one. Otherwise, history bears me out. Every strike against freedom has come from people who proclaimed all things must be their way; and that is exactly what Barber has done.

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 2:37 PM
Mud: Apparently Barber is. He calls for “replacing them (Executive Branch) with Bible-believing conservative Christians. Every single one” and “total national repentance and widespread Christian revival”

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 1:23 PM
Anthony: No, it is Barber’s opinion that we are doomed unless his rather specific list is met. Not just for a season, but forever. And as his list will never be met short of a hostile takeover of the government, people like you have to conjure up a horrific disaster to kid yourself that you’re not fascists.

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 1:22 PM
Max: in a way yes, but actually no. These people are sincere in their beliefs and more the pity. Their self-righteousness is unmovable and has blinded them into thinking they represent more than just a small minority. I say let them go and good riddance. They will marginalize themselves. The rest is irony because it is true. For Barber and his ilk to succeed will require the destruction of freedom because deep down inside, they actually represent all they decry.

No Longer a Republican

MikefromDE Wrote: Dec 22, 2014 11:53 AM
Sir: By all means, you and those that think like you are bound by honor to abandon the GOP and never support it again unless it does exactly as you dictate. You should for your own party and field your own candidates. But first and foremost, you must get the word out and don’t hold back. Comments like “America’s first cultural Marxist, anti-American, palpably evil president” are far too mild considering you fine the President so intensely evil. Remember, the future of not just this nation, but the whole world is at stake so even the smallest compromise is out of the question. Of course, many people will not share your “vision” so something will have to be done about them. Forced re-education may work, but I suspect that only some type of disenfranchisement will work in the end. It has to be done. Otherwise, by your own assessment, we are all doomed.
Mud: No, it was not a violation of constitutional rights and it is nowhere near as bad as what the Adams and Jefferson campaigns did to each other. And for a fact, none of it has stopped anyone from doing anything, which was the point in the first place. No, wrong again. In Fast and Furious, a few gun dealers were no more set up than johns are when the cops pose as prostitutes. Fast and Furious, another conservative rallying cry, was a flawed operation, but nothing new and certainly not a liberal plot to deprive citizens of religious or political freedom. Once again you have manufactured your victimization. As an added irony, Fast and Furious was motivated by the same sentiments that many conservative express through the desire to act now despite some risks, before a problem they believe in gets worse You mention demonstrable harm but that too is a generalization. Were any groups closed or people arrested? Was money or property confiscated? And no, you shouldn’t wait until people are actually being "disappeared"; but you should not call the fire department just because you think a problem in your house may cause a fire. That you think it would come to such an extreme is an example of how far from reality your concerns really are. Finally, I believe in constant vigilance ever the government. The reason it doesn’t sound like it to you is that you are deaf to all but “shouting” and live by the credo that if someone doesn’t hate a thing, they must love it.