NCAA President Mark Emmert announced sweeping sanctions against Penn State University this morning, in response to the horrific child sex abuse scandal that has rocked the school's venerable football program. The university's own investigation -- led by former FBI director Louis Freeh -- determined that top university officials and football personnel, including the late Joe Paterno, participated an extensive cover-up to protect Penn State football. These actions enabled former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky to continue to rape children, some of whom he victimized inside PSU football facilities. Emmert described the "punative and corrective" measures the NCAA has...
In response to:
NCAA programs, especially big ones like PSU, have separate athletic departments that are self sufficient, so the taxpayers are not being fined. PSU football will have to do without $12M per year, which a program of it's size can do without draining resources of the other athletic programs. It's been said that the death penalty would never be used after SMU received it for two years in 1989, it was so detrimental that it was seen as pointless.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Of course: 2014 Obama’s position on Ex-Im Bank is the opposite of 2008 Obama’s Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Wes Clark: Clinton had an opportunity to go in on the ground to get Bin Laden but it was “a lot of logistics” Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- I guess we need to talk about Joe Biden skinny dipping, huh? Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Obama: This congressional deadlock on immigration means “I’m going to have to act alone” Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- TEMS Friday: Guest hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago