Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
People redistribute wealth everyday without directive from the government. Everything from Goodwill donations to soup kitchens to food pantries to parochial missions. The idea that the less fortunate would be left to rot in the streets by themselves without government mandated redistribution is something liberals want and need people to believe. Any liberals who think wealthy Americans are mean-spirited capitalists should go look up how much was donated privately by Americans, in cash, to victims of the Haiti earthquake or Indonesia tsunami, or Hurricane Katrina in this country. Amazingly we redistributed our own wealth to help the unfortunate without anyone telling us to.
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- Next co-host of “The View”: Meghan McCain? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- ObamaCare premiums in MN heading for double-digit increases? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Finally: Obama nominated for his first Emmy Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- IRS employee suspended for urging taxpayers to ‘reelect President Obama’ Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Shannon Goessling, Kurt Schlichter Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Video: Unhinged pro-abortion protester knows little about human biology … or criminal law Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago