Gov. Mitt Romney opened the engagement. "Our Navy is smaller now than at any time since 1917. The Navy said they needed 313 ships to carry out their mission. We're now under 285. We're headed down to the low 200s if...
In response to:
It is not just oil that travels through the chokepoints. How many items in your home were made in china, India, Taiwan, etc. Things like iPhone/pad/pod, or clothing (most are sewn in Asia). Any US exports also have to travel the seas unless they are going to Canada or Mexico. Do you like fresh fruits and veggies in the winter? Those are usually grown south of the equator in countries like Chille and Argentina, and arrive in the USA by ship. There are many aspects of our very comfortable middle class lifestyle that depends on international trade.
Monday night's final 2012 presidential election debate included a brief but fierce naval battle. The candidates exchanged close-combat broadsides over the size of the U.S. Navy, then fired provocative salvos in the direction of two complex subjects, the capabilities of modern weapons and the deleterious effects of funding cuts required by sequestration on the defense budget, especially planned ship-building programs.
- Obama orders American ‘military advisors’ to support Ukraine against pro-Russian rebels Noah Rothman 19 minutes ago
- “Gas the Jews”: Supporters of Hamas run riot in French city, smash Jewish shops Allahpundit 58 minutes ago
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Planned Parenthood teen sex education: You could get tied to a tree … Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago