Gov. Mitt Romney opened the engagement. "Our Navy is smaller now than at any time since 1917. The Navy said they needed 313 ships to carry out their mission. We're now under 285. We're headed down to the low 200s if...
In response to:
It is not just oil that travels through the chokepoints. How many items in your home were made in china, India, Taiwan, etc. Things like iPhone/pad/pod, or clothing (most are sewn in Asia). Any US exports also have to travel the seas unless they are going to Canada or Mexico. Do you like fresh fruits and veggies in the winter? Those are usually grown south of the equator in countries like Chille and Argentina, and arrive in the USA by ship. There are many aspects of our very comfortable middle class lifestyle that depends on international trade.
Monday night's final 2012 presidential election debate included a brief but fierce naval battle. The candidates exchanged close-combat broadsides over the size of the U.S. Navy, then fired provocative salvos in the direction of two complex subjects, the capabilities of modern weapons and the deleterious effects of funding cuts required by sequestration on the defense budget, especially planned ship-building programs.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 16 hours ago