Liberal Washington Post editorial page commentator Ruth Marcus sees sexism in the Republican opposition to naming the current U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, as Hillary Clinton’s replacement as Secretary of State. Marcus trots out a well-worn story from the 1970s. She relates the formidable Alice Rivlin’s recollections as first Director of the Congressional Budget Office. “Over my dead body will we have a woman in that job” was the reaction of the House Budget Committee Chairman. (Chairman, Ooh! Bad!) That was Dr. Rivlin’s testimony. Dr. Rivlin sailed through confirmation to chair the CBO and is widely respected...
In response to:
Most of the descendants of Adams and Revere, et al, got the hell out and joined the great western migration. They are now the bedrock of flyover country. The ancestors of Kerry, Bawny and the Kennedys didn't get here until much later. I'm not a big fan of LBJ, but he had it right when he said, "My grandfather was a member of the Texas Legislature when John Kennedy's grandfather was tending bar at the north end of Boston."
- Fox News: Obama briefed for more than a year on ISIS as serious threat Ed Morrissey 48 mins ago
- Poll: 63% oppose Obama’s executive order on amnesty Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 4 hours ago