Minimum Wage: All Jacked Up

michigander4 Wrote: Apr 01, 2014 2:46 PM
RE: "Personally, I would rather pay a nickel or a dime more for a hamburger than have Democrats sitting in Congress and the White House. Heck, using that logic, why not raise the price of hamburgers by 50 cents and increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour?

Minimum Wage: All Jacked Up

michigander4 Wrote: Apr 01, 2014 2:39 PM
The buying power of $0.75 per hour in 1955 was as much, if not more, than the buying power of $7.25 in 2014. Raising the minimum wage, as you rightly point out, has the effect of raising the cost of goods and services for everyone (including those who got the raise), never mind those who lost their minimum wage jobs because their boss couldn't afford to give them the raise and had to lay them off.

Minimum Wage: All Jacked Up

michigander4 Wrote: Apr 01, 2014 11:00 AM
Yeah, that's the answer -- gouge the rich some more. Never mind that the top one percent earners already pay 90+ percent of the taxes. Those evil rich people are the reason I ain't rich. Boo-hoo.

Minimum Wage: All Jacked Up

michigander4 Wrote: Apr 01, 2014 10:54 AM
The truth is, today's parents are so maxed-out on credit card debt trying to live a life style WAAAAY beyond their means that there's no money left for baby sitters. That's why you see them dragging their screaming monsters to adult events.

Minimum Wage: All Jacked Up

michigander4 Wrote: Apr 01, 2014 7:10 AM
How about working for nothing? When I graduated from high school in 1959 there was a mini-recession going on. Job prospects were nil before graduation day, made only worse by all the graduates hitting the labor market at once. What to do? I sought council from the smartest person I knew -- my dad. He told me to look for a job I could be good at, then see the boss and offer to work for nothing the first week. I said, "WHAT?" "Yes," he said. "Tell him you'll work for nothing the first week, and if he isn't satisfied with your performance, you'll walk away with no hard feelings." Long story short, I didn't have to work for nothing. The employer was so impressed with my novel offer he agreed to give me the job on a trial basis. I never worked so hard in my life than I did for that guy and he hired me permanently. It was a major stepping stone into my life's career.
Seawolf and Kevin 354, Thanks for your commentary on my post, but you both apparently missed my point, evidenced by not answering my question in the last sentence.
I would have no problem at all with the massive influx of Hispanics if they were treated in the same manner as previous immigrants of the 19th and early-20th centuries. The first order of business was a requirement to learn to speak, read and write the Engish language. Government policy is just the opposite of that (press 1 for Spanish). A country with more than one official language will have never-ending problems (look at Canada). European immigrants did an excellent job of assimilating into the American culture; they thrived; they became Americans in every sense of the word.... and it was mainly due to learning the common language of their new country.
I have very intelligent white friends and associates who work their butts off, wouldn't even consider taking a government handout, are pro-life, are church goers, are 2nd amendment supporters, are patriotic, teach their children conservative values, believe in traditional marriage, etc., etc. Yet tthey will inexplicably march to the polls and robotically pull the Democrat lever at every election. Question: If these white people can't be convinced to consider a Republican alternative, how in the world can we expect blacks and hispanics to do so?
Get used to it, folks, this train left the station a long time ago. They can issue all the 'stays' they want, but it won't stop the homosexual mafia from eventually getting their way. There are no rules of conduct anymore. When you have pastors and sheriff's deputies busily passing out marriage license applications, you might as well throw in the towel. We are on the precipice of sodom and gomorrah.
The key word in the title of this piece is "Abuse." I have no problem with a president pushing the envelope on the limits of his/her power when doing so is clearly and indisputedly in the best interests of the country. But when it's done solely to achieve a political or unpopular dogmatic result, it enters the realm of abuse. As far as blaming Bush, well, that's simply lame. It's the old "two-wrongs-make-a-right" con.

Is Putin the Irrational One?

michigander4 Wrote: Mar 18, 2014 8:05 AM
Once again Pat is making too much sense. Unable to rationally counter what he says, his detractors attack him personally.