Society is gradually becoming more liberal – or libertine – in many ways, and one of the latest trends is the gradual legalization of marijuana in one state after another. This past election, voters approved marijuana for legal (recreational) use in Colorado and Washington. Marijuana has been legalized for recreational or medicinal use in 13 states, with more states to consider it soon. 15 million Americans are regular users of marijuana, a little over 5% of of the population. It seems problematic to criticize its legalization from a logical perspective considering alcohol, another psychoactive substance, is legal. If it is acceptable...
In response to:
Comparing legal booze to legal marijuana is a red herring. Societies have been dealing with alcohol use and abuse since the dawn of time.... and the downside to its use is well understood. As Rachel points out, it contains only one ingredient -- ethanol -- whereas marijuana contains a witch's brew of hundreds of known & unknown substances. If you choose to drink alcohol, you at least know its potency (alcohol content) and the short-term & long-term risks. With marijuana you don't know what you're sucking into your lungs. Reading the previous posts, I don't expect much agreement with my views. So, save yourself the time of rebuttal. Cheers!
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- U.S. to announce ground troops to Poland, says… Polish defense minister Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Rand Paul to Harry Reid: Simmer down with the “domestic terrorist” rhetoric about Bundy’s supporters Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Snowden: I asked Putin that softball question on surveillance to start a public debate in Russia Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- The Obama admin is delaying the Keystone XL review process through the election. Yes, again. Erika Johnsen 14 hours ago
- Rubio on immigration: I think Republicans have reached a point of “irreconcilable differences” with Obama Allahpundit 15 hours ago