South Korea-North Korea: Outgoing President Lee told the press that in late 2009 Kim Chong-il requested a third summit between the leaders of North and South Korea without conditions, such as demands for food grains. The invitation was transmitted through Chinese Premier Wen Jia-bao and some discussions were held in Singapore.
South Korea was prepared to accept and began discussing views about the venue. North Korea wanted it in Pyongyang. The talks broke down when the North demanded compensation for holding the summit.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago