That Beyonce apparently lip-synched her beautiful rendition of the national anthem is a triviality. It's cold on the steps of the Capitol and even the greatest singer might have trouble sounding good in those conditions. Kelly Clarkson apparently sang live (and perhaps paid a price in quality). Four years ago, at Obama's first inauguration, a quartet consisting of Yo-Yo Ma, Yitzhak Perlman, Gabriela Montero and Anthony McGill (it sounds...
Are you kidding? Look what we're inaugurating. A circus act of poop-flinging monkeys would be adequate to commemorate this occasion. I wouldn't insult high culture with it. Music and art that has been around for hundreds of years will be around long after everyone has forgotten what a "Beyonce" was.
In the days since the second Obama inauguration, I've been thinking about Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce. No, not the great lip-synching controversy, but the choice of popular entertainment for a solemn national rite.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Priorities: Germany bans Uber, ride-sharing services Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Breaking: Obama approves sending 350 more troops back into Baghdad Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- ESPN poll: 71% support team keeping “Redskins” name — including 53% of liberals Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Brutal Ad: Mary Landrieu’s tireless representation of her true home town Guy Benson 6 hours ago
- Chris Christie thinks Putin wouldn’t test him like he does Obama, and that’s driving liberals nuts Noah Rothman 6 hours ago