That Beyonce apparently lip-synched her beautiful rendition of the national anthem is a triviality. It's cold on the steps of the Capitol and even the greatest singer might have trouble sounding good in those conditions. Kelly Clarkson apparently sang live (and perhaps paid a price in quality). Four years ago, at Obama's first inauguration, a quartet consisting of Yo-Yo Ma, Yitzhak Perlman, Gabriela Montero and Anthony McGill (it sounds...
Are you kidding? Look what we're inaugurating. A circus act of poop-flinging monkeys would be adequate to commemorate this occasion. I wouldn't insult high culture with it. Music and art that has been around for hundreds of years will be around long after everyone has forgotten what a "Beyonce" was.
In the days since the second Obama inauguration, I've been thinking about Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce. No, not the great lip-synching controversy, but the choice of popular entertainment for a solemn national rite.
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 32 mins ago
- Surge: Walker regains the lead in Wisconsin Guy Benson 1 hour ago
- Gallup: Americans trust in the media matches historic low Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Obama’s administration at war with itself over ISIS strategy Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: Biggest insurer in MN pulling out of state exchange Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- House passes bill authorizing Obama to train Syria’s “moderate” rebels, with most Republicans voting yes Allahpundit 3 hours ago