Yet, in utter disregard of such plain facts, so-called "social scientists" do studies which conclude that America is no longer a land of opportunity, and that upward mobility is a "myth." Even when these studies have lots of numbers in tables and equations that mimic the appearance of...
So what more affects the prospects of an inner city boy growing up today in the same neighborhood Dr. Sowell did: Jim Crow laws of the South, or being taunted as "acting white" by his classmates? What more affects his brother, anti-miscegenation laws or the fact that his father is not part of his life? If either of these boys succeed, they deserve a great deal of credit. If they fail, people shrug their shoulders and ask what more government can do to alleviate their suffering. That is how we reached the soft bigotry of low expectations.
Most people are not even surprised any more when they hear about someone who came here from Korea or Vietnam with very little money, and very little knowledge of English, who nevertheless persevered and rose in American society. Nor are we surprised when their children excel in school and go on to professional careers.
- Pence: Cheer up — we’re winning! Ed Morrissey 10 mins ago
- Putin: You’re next, Kazakhstan Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- Scarborough: Obama saying he has no strategy against ISIS is a tactic straight out of “The Art of War” Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Ed Henry goes there: Why is Obama fundraising after admitting he has no ISIS strategy? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Change: Obama set to delay executive amnesty until after the midterms? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago