Yet, in utter disregard of such plain facts, so-called "social scientists" do studies which conclude that America is no longer a land of opportunity, and that upward mobility is a "myth." Even when these studies have lots of numbers in tables and equations that mimic the appearance of...
So what more affects the prospects of an inner city boy growing up today in the same neighborhood Dr. Sowell did: Jim Crow laws of the South, or being taunted as "acting white" by his classmates? What more affects his brother, anti-miscegenation laws or the fact that his father is not part of his life? If either of these boys succeed, they deserve a great deal of credit. If they fail, people shrug their shoulders and ask what more government can do to alleviate their suffering. That is how we reached the soft bigotry of low expectations.
Most people are not even surprised any more when they hear about someone who came here from Korea or Vietnam with very little money, and very little knowledge of English, who nevertheless persevered and rose in American society. Nor are we surprised when their children excel in school and go on to professional careers.
- Super-sized: Man loses 56 lbs eating nothing but McDonald’s Allahpundit 44 minutes ago
- Uh oh: Reports claim Ukrainian air force base in Sevastopol has been stormed by pro-Russian forces Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- McCain: I want Ted Cruz to apologize to Bob Dole Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Shock poll: Americans overwhelmingly favor building the Keystone XL pipeline Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Obama: Everyone wants a little R-S-P-E-C-T Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Juan Williams: Treatment of Condi Rice by Rutgers a hateful liberal double standard for black conservatives Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago