That Beyonce apparently lip-synched her beautiful rendition of the national anthem is a triviality. It's cold on the steps of the Capitol and even the greatest singer might have trouble sounding good in those conditions. Kelly Clarkson apparently sang live (and perhaps paid a price in quality). Four years ago, at Obama's first inauguration, a quartet consisting of Yo-Yo Ma, Yitzhak Perlman, Gabriela Montero and Anthony McGill (it sounds...
You have to know and recognize high culture. Most in the country don't. Also, high culture belongs to the wealthy. they are the ones who have been able to consistently afford it. Thus Obama choosing pop culture actually could have been a subtle signal. (Not that I believe in him being subtle.)
In the days since the second Obama inauguration, I've been thinking about Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce. No, not the great lip-synching controversy, but the choice of popular entertainment for a solemn national rite.
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz issues clear condemnation of Obama Noah Rothman 27 minutes ago
- Media reacts to Lois Lerner’s new email: ‘Hard to argue’ no political bias there Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Comforting: Syria-trained American suicide bomber traveled to U.S. undetected Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Lundergan Grimes: Iron Dome is great for keeping Hamas from tunneling into Israel Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Organizing for Action asks WaPo to recognize its work, with hilarious results Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago