Given recent revelations about government spying on US citizens, I wouldn't support ANY further control of anything by this or any other government. Background checks, while sounding reasonable, AREN'T going to stop urban thugs from getting guns. I doubt very much that those gang members go to a local gun shop and purchase their weapons legally. And, two of the most heinous acts committed with weapons, the Aurora, Colorado theater massacre and the Sandy Hook school slaughter, were committed by people who legally obtained their weapons. Just as you can't fix stupid, you can't legislate mental health. A background check wouldn't have prevented either of these incidents nor the hundreds of slayings happening in American inner cities each year.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 11 hours ago