Given recent revelations about government spying on US citizens, I wouldn't support ANY further control of anything by this or any other government. Background checks, while sounding reasonable, AREN'T going to stop urban thugs from getting guns. I doubt very much that those gang members go to a local gun shop and purchase their weapons legally. And, two of the most heinous acts committed with weapons, the Aurora, Colorado theater massacre and the Sandy Hook school slaughter, were committed by people who legally obtained their weapons. Just as you can't fix stupid, you can't legislate mental health. A background check wouldn't have prevented either of these incidents nor the hundreds of slayings happening in American inner cities each year.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago