Well, the first thing that hit me was interest rates! Did you know some credit cards charge 28%? Ever see a car loan that high? It makes perfectly good sense to pay off the debt with the highest interest rate first. A lot of "get out of debt" programs advise that approach. You'd think Dave Ramsey would know that.

Let’s Help Academia Destroy Itself

Merrie Wrote: Mar 04, 2013 7:07 AM
Amen. Our society looks down on people who work with their hands. And for all the hype about "education" the sad truth of the matter is that most people send their kids off to college for "job training." And a liberal arts education is very bad at that.

Top Television Shows Today Full of Garbage

Merrie Wrote: Mar 04, 2013 7:03 AM
Seinfeld? Don't you remember "The Contest?" Actually, Duck Dynasty gets better ratings than anything on NBC (now that Football is over.)

Dave Says Don't Fake Being Poor

Merrie Wrote: Feb 20, 2013 11:07 AM
Actually, rich people do this all the time. But you have to put the assets in the grandparents' name. Unless they've changed it from my day, financial need is calculated by the parents' tax return - if they claim the student as a dependent.

Dave Says Don't Fake Being Poor

Merrie Wrote: Feb 20, 2013 10:52 AM
SHOULD never be? Yes. Is never? Sadly not. That's one reason we have the student loan mess. In my state, we started a scholarship program funded with lottery money for students with a 3.0 average or better. It's broke due to rampant grade inflation and other factors. And democrats in the state legislature are furiously working to make it more "needs based" and less merit based.
Dekalb County is in danger of losing its accreditation due to the incompetence of the school board. Sadly, this is not the worst story on our schools this week.

Where Have All Our Houses Gone

Merrie Wrote: Feb 03, 2013 10:27 AM
I've wanted to sell my house for the last 2 years. The 3 foreclosures on my street finally sold for next to nothing. The one non-forclosure for sale has been on the market for about 3 years. She's lowered her sale price over $100,000. She's had exactly one person look at it. So, I guess I'm still stuck. In the meantime, our county CEO is under indictment and the school system is in danger of losing accreditation. So, I may NEVER be able to sell.

The Poison of Envy: From Facebook to Taxes

Merrie Wrote: Jan 30, 2013 8:01 PM
All I can say is those people must have different Facebook friends than I do! My friends and I are dealing with unemployment, divorce, health issues, bad weather, household drudgery and kids. What's to be jealous of?

The Democrats Want You to Die

Merrie Wrote: Jan 24, 2013 6:35 AM
Well yeah! How else do you think they're going to fix social security? That's what Obamacare is all about. Step 1: pass a bunch of laws designed to drive private insurance out of business. Step 2: government is forced to take over all health care. Step 3: Government starts rationing health care and only allows people to live if they're still contributing to the collective good. Birth control and abortion will be free, fertility treatments will be outlawed. That way there will be fewer people to destroy mother earth. And nobody will be allowed to live much past whatever age they raise social security to be, therefore solving the medicare AND social security crisis! And there's absolutely no downside!

Social Security Cliff in Sight

Merrie Wrote: Jan 18, 2013 6:52 AM
You ever see the movie "Dumb and Dumber?" You know the scene at the end when the kidnapper finally gets his hands on the briefcase with the million dollar ransom in it, but when he opens it, it's full of scraps of paper with notes like "IOU $250,000 for a Lamborghini. Signed Harold and Lloyd." That's the Social Security trust fund. Only instead of Lamborghinis, we've bought welfare, wars, cowboy poetry festivals and other stuff with the money. And the IOUs are signed by all the politicians we elected since Social Security was first instituted. Most of them are dead and none of them are good for the money.

2012's Worst Paying College Degrees

Merrie Wrote: Nov 29, 2012 6:36 AM
Hey ALL of those pay more than what I'm making with my liberal arts degree!