You see the signs everywhere: "We accept EBT." Fast-food restaurants do. Clothing retailers do. Auto repair shops, liquor stores and even sushi joints are joining the club. "EBT" stands for the federal government's electronic benefits transfer card, which is intended to provide poor people with food stamps and cash...
My liberal minded daughter and I get into debates over all social issues (which actually result in economic issues, BTW). She sees nothing wrong with someone dressed to the nines, perfectly styled hair and nails, walking up in a CVS drugstore line and buying a pint of gourmet ice-cream with an EBT card. I melted down when I saw this abuse of MY money!!! I don't want people to go hungry, but there's absolutely no excuse good enough for me that someone is spending my grandchildren's future buying luxury items and paying double what it would have costs in a grocery store!!! I'm sure they had hungry little children at home and planned on feeding them all with that ice-cream and couldn't be inconvenienced waiting inline at Kroger.
From New York to New Mexico and across the dependent plains, welfare recipients are getting sauced on the public dime. Drunk, besotted, bombed. But while politicians pay lip service to cutting government waste, fraud and abuse, they're doing very little in practice to stop the EBT party excesses. Where's the compassion for taxpayers?
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Will 2014 be the year that Jews support the GOP? Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- Flashpoint Hong Kong: China rules out democracy for the former British territory Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- Your tax dollars at work: PBS to air pro-abortion “After Tiller” movie tomorrow Dustin Siggins 17 hours ago
- NFL Regular Season open thread Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago
- Et tu, Di Fi? Feinstein sours on Obama’s ‘too cautious’ approach to ISIS Noah Rothman 20 hours ago