In Michigan, union bosses are testing a new strategy to increase their power and clout within the state. A constitutional amendment known locally as Proposal 2, or the “Protect Our Jobs” (POJ) amendment, would invalidate much of the common-sense progress that...
Detroit is a disaster area. It has endured appalling crime and official corruption for generations. It has lost 2/3 of its peak population. Wild animals roam abandoned neighborhoods reverting to forest. Its school system is such a mess that the state took it over. Before long the state may take over the entire city. But Detroit's municipal government still has a union-protected farrier on its payroll even though it no longer has horses. Worse, the farrier works not for the police department, which may once have had an equestrian branch, but for the water department, which as far as I know has never had horses. This tells you a great deal of what you need to know about unions, about Detroit, and about Michigan's government.
In Michigan, union bosses are testing a new strategy to increase their power and clout within the state. A constitutional amendment known locally as Proposal 2, or the “Protect Our Jobs” (POJ) amendment, would invalidate much of the common-sense progress that Governor Rick Snyder has made as it relates to public-sector unions, potentially overturning upwards of 170 pieces of legislation.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Former loathsome nanny-state mayor confuses blogger with second awesome move this summer Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Video: Army Medal of Honor recipient breaks gavel at New York Stock Exchange Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Senate analysis: What does “success” look like for the GOP in 2014? Guy Benson 9 hours ago
- Could a Republican president gut ObamaCare without action from Congress or the Supreme Court? Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Rubio: Immigration reform won’t happen for another 10 years unless border security comes first Allahpundit 11 hours ago