In Michigan, union bosses are testing a new strategy to increase their power and clout within the state. A constitutional amendment known locally as Proposal 2, or the “Protect Our Jobs” (POJ) amendment, would invalidate much of the common-sense progress that...
Detroit is a disaster area. It has endured appalling crime and official corruption for generations. It has lost 2/3 of its peak population. Wild animals roam abandoned neighborhoods reverting to forest. Its school system is such a mess that the state took it over. Before long the state may take over the entire city. But Detroit's municipal government still has a union-protected farrier on its payroll even though it no longer has horses. Worse, the farrier works not for the police department, which may once have had an equestrian branch, but for the water department, which as far as I know has never had horses. This tells you a great deal of what you need to know about unions, about Detroit, and about Michigan's government.
In Michigan, union bosses are testing a new strategy to increase their power and clout within the state. A constitutional amendment known locally as Proposal 2, or the “Protect Our Jobs” (POJ) amendment, would invalidate much of the common-sense progress that Governor Rick Snyder has made as it relates to public-sector unions, potentially overturning upwards of 170 pieces of legislation.
- VA: Actually, those secret wait lists did have something to do with the deaths Ed Morrissey 40 mins ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Alexandra Jaffe, Eliana Johnson Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Politics of man who sought to firebomb black congressman’s office won’t surprise you Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Poll showing GOP favorability nearly even with Dems met with furious spinning Noah Rothman 2 hour ago
- Wow: 62% of Republicans support sending ground troops into Iraq and Syria Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: AQ’s competition with ISIS means renewed focus on hitting US Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago