Sam Walton had a few good ideas -- keep prices low, sell to the neglected masses out in flyover country, maintain an independent fleet of trucks -- and he made a fortune. His successors have turned his company into a scale model of the federal government that it has become too cozy with. It's bloated, topheavy, bureaucratic, self-important, overrun by idiots, preoccupied with fads and shiny things, mired in political correctness, and far too dependent on China. On the other hand, consumers have a simple choice: buying cheap, toxic foreign junk at Walmart and other big-box stores or paying local retailers a lot more for the same junk. That's a no-brainer even for a lot of leftists.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 13 hours ago