I got a mandate from his utter humiliation of McGovern. You may use whatever term you prefer, but the point remains that he squandered a vast amount of political capital. I don't seek perfection, which no mortal can attain, and no politician can approach within 1,000 miles. But I don't think it's too much to expect that presidents obey the law, refrain from abetting genocide, and not be crackerdog. And yes, I recognize—indeed, I conceded—that he had his good points. At his worst, he was still better than Johnson or Humphrey the happy socialist. I didn't read anyone out of the party. There's no denying that Nixon was a Republican. Unlike many Republicans, he was also a vigorous anticommunist. But he was hardly a conservative. He gave us wage-and-price controls, the EPA, and a load of other regrettable garbage. You have a partial point, though: CINO would've been more accurate than RINO.
"Perfect candor wasn't Richard Nixon's strong suit." That may be the understatement of the year. At his worst, he was not only a dishonest, cynical, paranoid, power-besotted RINO who put China, the bloodiest dictatorship in history, on the road to superpower status; abandoned Southeast Asia and our POWs and MIAs there; imposed tyrannical wage-and-price controls that still cast a shadow over the economy; and nearly declared martial law over a penny ante truckers' strike. He threw away the greatest electoral mandate since FDR's third term, nearly destroyed the country and the GOP, and indirectly gave us Carter and the Church Commission. At his best, he was a thoughtful strategist who temporarily drove a wedge between China and the Soviet Empire and saved us for eight years from total Democrat rule. And from the wreckage of his self-destruction eventually came the Reagan revolution.

Sticks, Stones, And Thought Crimes

Matt in N.C. Wrote: Jul 27, 2014 11:11 AM
Or maybe a bundle of sticks 3 feet long and 2 feet in circumference.

Sticks, Stones, And Thought Crimes

Matt in N.C. Wrote: Jul 27, 2014 11:02 AM
You just got out after 29 years? Jeez, I'll bet you were regarded as a tyrannosaurus. I put in my 20; but the wind had already shifted, and I had to hold my nose the last couple of hitches.

Conservatism Is The New Punk Rock

Matt in N.C. Wrote: Jul 27, 2014 11:00 AM
Yeah. Or "You're a racist/sexist/homophobe!" Or "It's for the children!"

Conservatism Is The New Punk Rock

Matt in N.C. Wrote: Jul 27, 2014 10:54 AM
Good thesis and a good string of allusions. But I have to disagree with your statement that "There's no energy left in liberalism." There's plenty, but it's one-dimensional, and it manifests itself mainly as incoherent offense, incoherent rage, incoherent hatred, and pure incoherence.

Sticks, Stones, And Thought Crimes

Matt in N.C. Wrote: Jul 27, 2014 7:21 AM
When I was in the Army, there was no "I" in "team," either. Then somebody came up with that "Army of one" garbage. I haven't checked lately; maybe there's a new article in the UCMJ about self-esteem.

Sticks, Stones, And Thought Crimes

Matt in N.C. Wrote: Jul 27, 2014 5:49 AM
Michael Sam is too small to be an NFL lineman. He's too slow to be a linebacker. He's not exactly nickel back material. But because of his status, unique so far, maybe the Rams (or the commissioner) will create a new, guaranteed position for him: broke back. As you say, he was probably wise to take Oprah's money. He'll be selling insurance before long. At best, his celebrity will last until self-announced homosexuals who can cut it in the NFL show up for training camp. About then, he'll become as celebrated as the first Lutheran kung fu instructor in southeast Ohio.
And to be fair, you'd have to figure in percentage of blackness for payees and percentage of whiteness for payers. Then you'd have to decide what to do about Native Americans, Orientals, interracial families, and. . .it'd be the biggest mess since the Big Bang.
Well, it's just a guess, but I'll offer the following breakdown of a reparation settlement: Legal fees: 60% (class-action suits are expensive) Consumer goods bought by settlement beficiaries: 35% Illicit goods and services bought by beneficiaries: 5% The Trial Lawyers Association is a major Democrat supporter, however; so ultimately about 1/3 of 60%, or about 18%, would end up in Democrat coffers, and smaller fractions of the other two categories would find their way to the same destination. In toto, I'd say about 20% of the total would eventually end up with the DNC or individual officials. But that's a guess.
You do have a point, though I wonder whether one suitcase nuke could take out all three targets. It might get the Capitol and the Supreme Court, for example, but not the White House.