Agree, except those who oppose are not bigots.
Conventional wisdom argues that opposition to gay marriage hurt Republicans in the recent election cycle, but nothing in the numbers suggests that this is true.
In the four liberal states where advocates for same-sex marriage won their victories, the redefinition of marriage proved much less popular than Barack Obama. In Maryland, for instance, Obama cruised to victory with 62 percent of the vote, but same-sex marriage squeaked by with just 52 percent. In other words, more than one out of six of Obama supporters voted with Republicans, not their fellow Democrats, against same sex marriage.
In Maryland, Maine, Washington...
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- “We need a national conversation…” Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago