Over the past two months, Europe's problems seem to have disappeared from the headlines. However, the new French Socialist government is pushing ahead with policies that favor significantly higher government spending, greater regulation of business and commerce, and severely higher taxes on high earners. The long term effects of these policies, which I believe will lead to further economic decline, may be given fresh scrutiny if France is drawn into a lasting conflict in West Africa as a result of its surprise intervention in Mali last week. The financial discussions that will certainly accompany a longer term strategic commitment to the...
In response to:
A close look at how the Soviet Union was controlled, its economy a basket case of central planning, gives a perspective to what is happening now. The US and most of Europe are ruled by a political class that increasingly controls everything in the economy. The model appears to be duplicating the USSR. Unless something happens to change course, the old socialist model will go bankrupt, because of the same reasons the USSR died. However, look at Estonia, free at last and fiscally sound. It won't be the end of the world; just the end of Keynes and Marx.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 9 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 12 hours ago