She was generating hydrogen gas. I used to do this all the time when I was in high school and college. The cleaner (lye) reacts with the water to produce a great deal of heat, which strips the oxygen from the water and binds it to the aluminum foil. The hydrogen gas bubbles of. We used to do the reaction in glass pop bottles and put a balloon over the lip. After the balloon filled up sufficiently we'd tie it off, tie some toilet paper on the end, light the paper, and send the balloon out the window. For a bigger bang, we'd blow a little bit of air in first then fill the balloon with the hydrogen. Good times.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Ebola: First case coming to America Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds Gov. Scott Walker’s signature Act 10 in its entirety Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Is Romney poised for a comeback? Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: Baffling gun-control ad from Mike Bloomberg’s group draws inevitable response Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Democratic Senator calls for CIA director’s resignation for spying on Congress Noah Rothman 6 hours ago