She was generating hydrogen gas. I used to do this all the time when I was in high school and college. The cleaner (lye) reacts with the water to produce a great deal of heat, which strips the oxygen from the water and binds it to the aluminum foil. The hydrogen gas bubbles of. We used to do the reaction in glass pop bottles and put a balloon over the lip. After the balloon filled up sufficiently we'd tie it off, tie some toilet paper on the end, light the paper, and send the balloon out the window. For a bigger bang, we'd blow a little bit of air in first then fill the balloon with the hydrogen. Good times.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 30 mins ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Video: Florida mom arrested, charged with child neglect for letting her seven-year-old have a sip of whiskey Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Officer in Daniele Watts handcuff incident was responding to a call Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Friendly reminder: Republicans could absolutely fail to win the Senate Guy Benson 3 hours ago