The simplistic, if understandable, answer to that question for many conservatives is right now. The national debt has surpassed our GDP, we're borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend, and our unpaid-for federal obligations already exceed $80 trillion. We're in dire straits; there's no escaping that. But there's also no escaping certain political realities: The public isn't feeling especially charitable toward Congressional Republicans these days, Democrats control 55 Senate seats, and this president will occupy the Oval Office for the next four years. If the GOP is seeking to apply pressure on the Left to improve our...
In response to:
The bottom line is these guys are there to do a job. They should do their job to the best of their ability. They are not there to win a popularity contest. I make my children eat their veggies not because I'm trying to be their besy buddy but because it's what they need, even if they dont like it. At the end of the day they will thank me.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 10 hours ago