Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
Lois, I think it is a form of unemployment compensation. Have you ever talked to anyone that works for the government. My son did a temp stint with the government. He said most employees spent a great deal of time complaining and very little time actually doing their jobs and there are one or two people that do everything. He also worked for a university for a while and said it was their main concern to spend all of their budget. For if they did not spend all of their budget the next year they received less money. They are not rewarded for frugality but for wastefulness. My friend(government worker) tells me that she would never want the government controlling healthcare. Waste. Waste. Waste.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Next co-host of “The View”: Meghan McCain? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- ObamaCare premiums in MN heading for double-digit increases? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Finally: Obama nominated for his first Emmy Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- IRS employee suspended for urging taxpayers to ‘reelect President Obama’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Shannon Goessling, Kurt Schlichter Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Video: Unhinged pro-abortion protester knows little about human biology … or criminal law Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago