This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Not to mention that this couldn't have been true logically forgetting census which clearly shows it. Slaves in America were VERY expensive, unlike lets say Middle East ( where majority of Blacks were taken and died there), partially due to simple distance, partially due to English blockade of Slave trade, partially due to laws which made importation of Slaves illegal, and partially due to the simple fact that America was relatively poor nation or immigrants who rarely had 2 cents to rub together. Of course Census proves that without any doubt, but even without a second of common sense would make it certain.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- US ponders military intervention in Syria as well as Iraq Ed Morrissey 26 mins ago
- Friday night document dump: Yet another “accommodation” on HHS mandate Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Teachers unions angry with Obama staff “sellouts” Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Elite northeastern college town very worried about becoming Ferguson Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 17 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 18 hours ago