This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Hey Dread.. that almost made sense. I agree vast majority of people are completely or mostly ignorant of our history, or of history in general... while knowing everything about some American Idol or what Actor is married to whom. That doesn't change the fact that there is a huge difference between impassioned learning of history and one with ideological biased. History, happened, for good for bad, evil or not, it happened. The best we can do is learn from it, but not ignore any wrinkle no matter how inconvenient it may be.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 20 mins ago
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago