This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Hey Dread.. that almost made sense. I agree vast majority of people are completely or mostly ignorant of our history, or of history in general... while knowing everything about some American Idol or what Actor is married to whom. That doesn't change the fact that there is a huge difference between impassioned learning of history and one with ideological biased. History, happened, for good for bad, evil or not, it happened. The best we can do is learn from it, but not ignore any wrinkle no matter how inconvenient it may be.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Study: Non-citizens are voting in federal elections — and probably tipped at least one Senate race to Democrats Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- HHS official to Congress: I’m totally in charge, but that doesn’t mean I can prioritize Ebola prep over puppet shows Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- All in: Democrats plan full-court press to defeat Walker Guy Benson 9 hours ago
- Oh, by the way: North Korea now knows how to build small nuclear warheads for delivery via ICBM Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Video: The ultimate Debbie Wasserman Schultz clip Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- DHS auditor: It’s not your imagination, we aren’t prepared for a pandemic Noah Rothman 11 hours ago