This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Hey Dread.. that almost made sense. I agree vast majority of people are completely or mostly ignorant of our history, or of history in general... while knowing everything about some American Idol or what Actor is married to whom. That doesn't change the fact that there is a huge difference between impassioned learning of history and one with ideological biased. History, happened, for good for bad, evil or not, it happened. The best we can do is learn from it, but not ignore any wrinkle no matter how inconvenient it may be.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Philadelphia mayor prepares to fund Russian mob with new cigarette tax Jazz Shaw 19 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 12 hours ago