This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Too, to me Slavery is equal to Murder in almost all things, with obvious exception that a Slave has a HOPE while Murder doesn't. So yeah , I am fully aware the horror of it, and if there was any way I would argue that any and all Slave owners should in turn be enslaved; so they could understand the terror that they made. However, that doesn't excuse the evil that is the large Federal Government. We are in the mess we are today precisely due to Lincoln assumption of illegal powers. The millions of poverty of today, and the virtual slavery of our inner cities, are also a direct result of this. So while I agree with you 100% as to the moral degeneration that Slavery is, that doesn't automatically make Lincoln right.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Ron Paul: Crimea has the right to join Russia, and U.S. sanctions would be “criminal” Allahpundit 34 minutes ago
- CPAC interviews: The candidates Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Amazing: Leader of authoritarian gulag state unanimously “elected” with 100 percent voter turnout Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Snowden Q&A overshadowed at SXSW by … Girls Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Russian ambassador: We’re making it easier for Latvian ethnic Russians to get citizenship Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Let the primaries begin: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz battle over foreign policy Allahpundit 3 hours ago