This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Too, to me Slavery is equal to Murder in almost all things, with obvious exception that a Slave has a HOPE while Murder doesn't. So yeah , I am fully aware the horror of it, and if there was any way I would argue that any and all Slave owners should in turn be enslaved; so they could understand the terror that they made. However, that doesn't excuse the evil that is the large Federal Government. We are in the mess we are today precisely due to Lincoln assumption of illegal powers. The millions of poverty of today, and the virtual slavery of our inner cities, are also a direct result of this. So while I agree with you 100% as to the moral degeneration that Slavery is, that doesn't automatically make Lincoln right.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 17 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey Apr 20, 2014