This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Because people love to see things in black and white, and not understand that in almost all things there are shades of Gray. It is far easier to paint you as a racist, than to touch your ideology, or your believes. The reality was that both South and Union were wrong, although South had a better claim, their support for Slavery did in FACT ruined their argument. You can not speak of freedom while holding people slaves. You can not speak of Liberty while denying it. Most importantly you can not have liberty while Government ensures Slavery, which means by definition Government must be large and powerful. (Slavery requires Government, a private person may hold another illegally, but never legally without Government monopoly of force).
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Former loathsome nanny-state mayor confuses blogger with second awesome move this summer Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Video: Army Medal of Honor recipient breaks gavel at New York Stock Exchange Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Senate analysis: What does “success” look like for the GOP in 2014? Guy Benson 4 hours ago
- Could a Republican president gut ObamaCare without action from Congress or the Supreme Court? Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Rubio: Immigration reform won’t happen for another 10 years unless border security comes first Allahpundit 5 hours ago