This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Because people love to see things in black and white, and not understand that in almost all things there are shades of Gray. It is far easier to paint you as a racist, than to touch your ideology, or your believes. The reality was that both South and Union were wrong, although South had a better claim, their support for Slavery did in FACT ruined their argument. You can not speak of freedom while holding people slaves. You can not speak of Liberty while denying it. Most importantly you can not have liberty while Government ensures Slavery, which means by definition Government must be large and powerful. (Slavery requires Government, a private person may hold another illegally, but never legally without Government monopoly of force).
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Report: Energy production on federal lands is still declining Erika Johnsen 29 minutes ago
- Maybe Democrats should be more worried about their own billionaire allies Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Boehner reassures GOP donors: I’m “hellbent” on passing immigration reform this year Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Inside the leak of the Tsarnaev capture photos Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- New Hillary memoir to be titled “Hard Choices”? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Protip from Reid: Bundy supporters are “domestic terrorists,” y’know Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago