This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
Exactly Rick. Union was wrong, but that doesn't make South right. Especially when one looks into what South did during the war. Ideally Union could have been maintained and Slavery abolished, Tariffs repealed, and Free Trade rained supreme. Unfortunately, not sure that this was possible. If South was allowed to leave without any problem, I am certain that North and South would have fought a war within short period of time. The problem then would be that South would likely have gotten support from Britain and France. The whole thing makes Civil War a very complicated time in history of US, and not black and white like we make it seem today.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- This HHS official’s resignation letter says everything you’ve ever thought about bureaucracy Mary Katharine Ham 28 minutes ago
- Venezuelan official: John Kerry is a “murderer” and these protests are pretty much all his fault Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Sarah Palin to launch “Rogue TV” Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Jay Carney leaving the White House? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Ramirez on Attkisson’s departure Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Here we go: Obama now reviewing deportation policy after pressure from immigration activists Allahpundit 3 hours ago