This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
It is a great thought Jcrescenzi. Unfortunately people are far too invested in the rhetoric of the Civil War then its reality. People on our side ( Conservative) refuse to say that Lincoln could have done bad, while people on the other side, refuse to listen to anything but word "Slavery" which fits so well within their agenda. Tariffs, and Government rights were far more important than any other issue in Civil War. Which, if someone just took a second to think, would make sense. Think, how many would fight for or against a Slave? Especially in the bloody, disgusting trenches of the Civil War.
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 10 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 11 hours ago